The Catholic Cemeteries Association (CCA) was established in 1952 by Bishop John Dearden to assist the diocesan bishop with his Canonical responsibility to provide sacred resting places for the use of the faithful. The Association is charged with the burial of the dead according to the norms of the Roman Catholic faith, and with the maintenance of the 16 diocesan cemetery properties.
Although the CCA is separately incorporated from the Diocese of Pittsburgh, it is closely affiliated with it. The Bishop of the Diocese and the General Secretary serve as members of the corporation and the Ordinary of the diocese is the chair of the Members and chair of the Board of Trustees, who govern the corporation. The Board of Trustees appoints an executive director to oversee the daily operations of the Association.
Here in the Diocese of Pittsburgh we are fortunate to have numerous Catholic cemeteries specifically set aside by the Church for the burial of the faithful. Currently, there are 16 diocesan cemeteries, owned and operated by The Catholic Cemeteries Association of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, and 116 parish cemeteries, which are owned and operated by the parish to which they are attached.
Typically, diocesan cemetery properties are much larger than parish cemetery properties because they were established to meet the burial needs of multiple parish communities, unlike the parish cemeteries, which were established to meet only the needs of those who belong to that particular parish community.
The Association is responsible for the operation of 16 diocesan cemetery properties.